28 Sept 2011

Idea vs Execution

We had an intensely thought-provoking masterclass at SCA on creative briefs from Patrick Collister of Creative Matters. Too much to distill and discus here, but one message that stuck out was that there was a clear difference between "idea" (or "meaning") and "execution".

The example he gave was the Carlton Draught's "It's A Big Ad" TV slot. The idea is to take the piss out of advertising. The execution is to parody the "big event" adverts with giant overhead shots of huge crowds.

But it's not a simple concept, so I felt the need to apply it to other adverts to see if I can make it work myself. Here goes...

Match.com shop duet
Meaning: Find instant chemistry
Execution: 2 strangers improvising a duet

Carlsberg bikers in cinema
Meaning: Carlsberg is a reward
Execution: Film people being given Carlsberg for a brave or difficult task

T-Mobile flash mob
Meaning: Show people sharing fun together
Execution: Take a spontaneous YouTube phenomenon and recreate it with paid extras
(you may be getting the idea that I'm not overly keen on current T-mobile ads, if you've been paying attention to this blog)

Weetabix dancing teddies
Meaning: Weetabix gives you amazing energy
Execution: Show girl eating it and dancing in groovy/odd way with groovy/odd teddies

Yeo Valley rapping farmers
This HAS to be the odd one out. I'm sorry, but even if the Creative Director was in front of me now denying it, I would not deviate from my belief that the very first thing they thought of was the "Yeo Valley" / "Yo Valley" pun, and the idea grew from there. I refuse to believe the first insight was "wouldn't rapping farmers be amusing?". Note that the tagline is so utterly unmemorable (not sure? it's "live in harmony") because it doesn't have to be - the execution does all the work.

I hope I'm right, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment