27 Sept 2011

To Fly, To Serve

An appropriate post, I think, as we popped into BBH London last week as part of our agency visits. Bit of a pilgrimage for me, as John Hegarty's book was one of the things that convinced me I was taking the right path. Anyway, here is their new "aviators" ad for British Airways.


There you go. It's obviously stirring, tells a story, beautifully shot and written - it's the kind of ad that BBH do best. But I think the most interesting thing is Easyjet's response.


It's easy (hah!) to see this as a shot across the bows, and it is certainly a little cheeky. But I suspect that it won't bother BA one bit. Anyone who is looking to save probably already knows that Ryanair and Easyjet will be cheaper. If anything it reinforces the message that for heritage and quality, you go to British Airways. Both brands stay in their respective places, and although Easyjet may get publicity out of it, I don't think it's at the expense of the older airline to any great degree.

You could compare it to the Dixons ads targeting John Lewis, but BA's advantage is in having only one position to defend, which Easyjet don't even try to attach. John Lewis made the mistake of saying "never knowingly undersold" on 3 things - quality, price, and service - meaning they have to fight wars on 3 fronts.

No comments:

Post a Comment