23 Sept 2011

Pop-Punk Parallelism

Just a quick thought about how we can use copywriting tricks and techniques without thinking about it. I was reading this excellent guide, and in particular the section on parallelism. It describes it as "the deliberate repetition of a particular word, phrasing or sentence structure for effect". So, for a really simple example, "Don't just do it, B&Q it".

Then I was listening to a copy of the new album by Brit pop-punkers You Me At Six, and a rather emo breakup anthem called "This Is The First Thing". The chorus goes...

This is the first thing I thought
This is the last thing that I want
You were the first one I loved
You were the first love I lost

Really simple, but with different words, it wouldn't be half as catchy. Perhaps singer Josh Franchesci has an alternative career ahead of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment