30 Oct 2011

SCA 2.0 half term assignment pt.4

Well bloody hell, here it is, Sunday night, then once more unto the breach, dear friends.


I did have a listen to 3 albums that I normally wouldn't, although to be fair I wasn't always concentrating on them that much.

1. "Missundaztood" by Pink


Taken from Mrs Cutcopywrite's CD collection, I did already know a couple of tracks, like "Get the party starte" and "Just Like A Pill", but the rest was a mystery. Strangely, even the tracks I knew had a really dated, anaemic production, neither pop nor rock, that was all drums and vocals and nothing in between. We're used to big bass and ravey synths all over our music these days, and despite a spirited perfomance from the woman, I can't imagine, for example, ever using it in an advert. One of those things that sounds better in your memory.

2. "Happy Hardcore Top 100 Best Ever" by Various Artists
This was, er, fast. It brought back happy memories of Technohead's "I want to be a hippy", in which Top Of The Pops would censor the word "marijuana" but not the phrase "I want to get high". There were odd moments where I'd recognise a sample, or where a nifty rave riff would appear for a bit, but mostly it just highlighted how much dance music has moved on, and with genres like dubstep and artists like Major Lazer around, going faster and faster (happy hardcore runs at 160-180bpm) just seems silly.

It's fair to say that of the three, this is the CD that caused Mrs Cutcopywrite the most aggravation.

3. "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill", by Lauryn Hill


I enjoyed this. It's not my thing entirely, but sales and critical acclaim were so high that you can't help but take notice. I could have done without the strange educational spoken word parts, but otherwise, it was a great album lyrically and musically.

Right, now for a good night's sleep. Possibly.

No comments:

Post a Comment