10 Jan 2012

Good Bread, Bad Bread

Just had a brief from school for a bread brand, so we've been looking at how they've been sold. It's been responsible for some great advertising. Hovis obviously springs to mind, but I also like this recent Warburtons ad, from RKCR/Y&R. It's funny, but there's a strong brand message behind it.


This travesty of a commercial, on the other hand - for Kingsmill from M&C Saatchi - is just a mess.


It's hard to know where to start. First of all, there's nothing that tells me what's so great about the bread itself. She might namecheck the brand, but basically, it's a cheese sandwich confession. And if I made a sandwich in the morning, went away, came back, and it was gone, I'd just ask my boyfriend "what did you do with my sandwich?" If they're trying to recreate the real people's lives and kitchens, there has to be an element of reality.

And the engagement is just so weak - I checked the Kingsmill Confessions YouTube channel, and found that all videos had been disliked more than liked in all cases. To finish, here are a sample of the comments...


This advertising campaign is lame. So... this girl made her mum a sandwich then ate it herself? This is barely a story... and definitely not one worth telling. What sort of bread related confessions did Kingsmill expect?


Why would you even run a campaign like this?


Britain should weep for the travesty of its people now


These kingsmill adverts are pathetic and i prefer good old fashioned warburtons actually


You're worse than Hitler.


I have a confession to make, I was in a rush to catch a flight this morning so I asked my wife to make me a sandwich, she used shitty kingsmill instead of braces so I knifed her in the neck, stupid bitch.


I wipe the under side of my balls with kingsmill gold........it's very refreshing

No comments:

Post a Comment