11 Jan 2012

Time to Change - Mental Health

This ad was actually linked to by a friend on Facebook. This happens so rarely that I thought I'd better take a look and write about it. It's created by Dare for 2 of Britain's major mental health charities, Mind and Rethink.


The main problem of the ad is that the part where they display misconceptions about mental illness is more deftly executed than the message. The exposition with the unrealistic inner monologue and clunky exposition ("oh it's Dave who was off on work with mental illness") and the still somewhat rather stilted conversation at the end are the weakest parts. It felt like people saying what they're supposed to say, rather than what they would actually say (something I was told off for by my Head of Copywriting when writing radio ads raising awareness of STIs).

The middle section is much stronger - I thought the acoustic gig was a great touch. And I should mention, to be fair, that my Facebook friend praised the ads. However, as someone already fairly enlightened about mental health already, he wasn't exactly the target.

No comments:

Post a Comment